Monday, April 20, 2009

Magazine Recession Watch: GOOD is having issues... or rather, less issues.

As noted back in January, I recently resubscribed to GOOD, "a magazine for people who give a damn." In February, I received a "recession issue" -- a little brochure really -- explaining that GOOD was in difficult financial straits and would be pubbing online only that month. It did include a coupon for a manicure, but I think I lost it.

This month, I received a real issue. On transportation issues. I was distinctly underwhelmed. It's not that I don't give a damn. I love public transportation, but I just don't find it sexy. Ah well, I hope future issues bring more of what I love, like last year's Travel Issue, which sent one correspondent to Paraguay for drug-and-gun-running tourism.

But future issues will be far and few between. Folio reports that GOOD is scaling back to be a quarterly magazine. On the upside, subscriptions are up from 25,000 to 60,000 people.

Good Scales Back Frequency [Folio]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't mind borrowing your Transportation Issue, seeing as you're underwhelmed by it. (Borrowing: the real villain stalking the journalism industry!)