Sunday, July 13, 2008

Photo Essay: Dim Sum, Causeway Bay and Kowloon

I am happily coming off a weekend with (almost) no rain. With 4 a.m. nights on both Friday and Saturday, I think I am officially over my jetlag. Or at least no longer easily waking up at 7 a.m. On Friday night, I went with my IHT colleagues to Hong Kong's illustrious Foreign Correspondents Club. The oldest member is a woman who was on the Polish border when the German tanks started crossing, and essentially "broke" the story of WWII.

After that, I went to Wagyu Lounge with my roommate and her friends. We finished the night at the Flying Pan, an American diner. I had grits. In Hong Kong. Here's the rest of the weekend in a photo essay.

Dim sum Saturday morning at Dragon I with new HK friends:


Yummy dim sum. From left: soup dumplings, shumai, and steamed pork buns:

With very full tummies after brunch, my roommate and I went on a long walk from Lan Kwai Fong to Causeway Bay. We passed this Dark Knight poster on the way, with Batman looking out on Hong Kong. My roommate reports that the cast stayed at the Four Seasons while filming in HK. Comes out next week! I can't wait to see it.

Shopping in Causeway Bay. My roommate was amused by my looming above everyone else. I tried to buy shoes there. The shoe shop person took one look at my feet and said, "Too big. We only have Chinese sizes."

On Sunday, I went to Kowloon, the island across the bay north of Hong Kong Island. This is a statue of Bruce Lee on the Avenue of the Stars. The Hong Kong Island skyline is in the background.

A "cute" panda. Maybe they should have chosen a different Olympics sport to illustrate visually...

Knick knacks in Kowloon's night market. Interesting assortment of folks depicted... yes, that's Hitler beneath Jesus.

No comments: