Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Weekend of Vice

Weekends in Hong Kong tend to be more exhausting than the weekdays. This past one was no exception. Here's a rundown, along with a photo essay.

Though Hong Kong is a huge city, it tends to feel like a small one on the weekends, because everyone you know can be found in Lan Kwai Fong. (It's like 9th Street in Durham.) Yes, that would be the area that I said was "too heavily populated by expats for my taste." But, as all my friends are expats, I wind up there a lot.

Such was the case Friday night. I dragged my roommate out to Dragon I, where we met up with friends from last weekend's junk trip. In a night that went until the wee hour of 5 a.m., we also visited Volar and Prive. My roommate was laughing at me, remembering my first weekend here and my lamenting our being out past 2 a.m. as too late. HK changes your relationship with time fairly quickly. This is the scene at Dragon-I:

On Saturday, we woke up late, had delicious Korean food in Causeway Bay, and got foot massages at Happy Feet. On the way back up the midlevels escalator to our apartment, we spotted this commotion on Elgin Street. Check out the Mercedes fire trucks! And that would be a 7-Eleven to the right there. They are all over this city.

Saturday night, we saw Akon perform at AsiaExpo. I shall have to recount that experience in a different post.

Sunday, I went to Macau. Waiting in line for 2 hours to get through immigration processing made me hate the place initially, but seeing old Portuguese neighborhoods...


... and the ruins of St. Paul...

... and turning a profit on the craps table at the Grand Lisboa...
... made me like Macau more on the way out.

1 comment:

David Lat said...

The Grand Lisboa looks like a giant robot. Glad to hear it was lucky for you!

Craps is such a fun game (at least when it's going well). I haven't played in forever....